Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Recap

Note: You will find no beer reviews in tonight's post. Rather, a montage of pictures describing my day.

Normally when you wake up on a Friday, you're like "HELL Fing yeah, it's FRIDAY!". Fridays are bitter sweet for me, as I normally have stressful Friday mornings at work. The last two weeks have been complete stress overload. If there was anything that was the complete and utter opposite of stress free Vegas life, it would have to be this.

The below image captures what I felt like by noon time today:
Ow my Balls

So I took the afternoon off from work. Came home, took the wife to the liquor store to shop for her big Bday party tomorrow. Bought $150 worth of beer and tequila. Beer selection below:

Party beer loot

I also picked up a six-pack of Narragansett tall boys. Man, I needed a drink bad! By mid evening I was on my third.



Even after a couple of beers, the stress was still killing me. Massive headache. Had to turn to more traditional means. A couple of these puppies helped.

Excedrin

The perfect accompaniment to 'Gansett and Excedrin is Red Dead Redemption via PS3. Nothing like blasting the shit out of some bad-guy cowboys to reduce stress.



On a completely and utterly unrelated side note, I'd like to introduce you to Cactus Jack. He's the first and only plant I have ever owned. He is a Christmas cactus. My green thumb is about as green as BP is, and it's a miracle that he has survived as long as he has. He's a little sick right now (not supposed to be red colored). My mom (uber-gardener) is coming to the Bday party tomorrow and she is going to fix him up good.

But I digress...

Cactus Jack

Following the video games, and somewhere in the middle of the drinking, I spent a half hour wrapping up some packages that need to be mailed tomorrow.

PaperbackSwap.com

About 5 years ago we got hooked on paperbackswap.com. It's a ridiculously cool service. Essentially, you list the books you want to get rid of in their database. When someone wants your book, you mail it to them. In return, you get to select a book that you want from the database and it gets sent to you free of charge. Essentially, you end up getting slightly uesd (and often like-new) books for only what you pay in shipping to send your own books out. At media mail prices, it averages out to about $2 per book. That beats buying books anywhere else by a LONG shot.

Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.


Careful though...the damn thing is addictive. My wife wound up with a ridiculous collection of recipe books and I have enough World War 2 non-fiction books to last a lifetime. Just check out my book case.

My ridiculous bookcase

Finally, we spent the first part of the evening watching The Fifth Element. I've seen it a handful of times. Weird-ass movie. And although she definitely isn't in my top-ten list, Milla Jovovich is pretty good looking in this flick.



So that's my day up until 7:50pm. No idea where the rest of the evening will take me.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Cactus Jack ... the photo helped the remote diagnosis. IF you have time, bring a small bag of potting soil and a pot one size larger (by and inch or two in diameter). Or, if you aren't going past some place that sells pots, you could just bring potting soil which you can buy almost anywhere. Also need a small handful of pebbles which I assume we can pick up around Jim & Kay's.

Sharon M said...

Great post! I swear, we lead parallel lives, right down to the bookcase. However, my plants are in much better shape. Enjoy the birthday party!

Ilya Feynberg said...

Josh,

Hope you're doing much better buddy! I think what you should have gone for that night was actually a few bottles of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout ;)

Those stress related headaches only get worse when you add beer into the mix though I think...sleep works well though!

And the 5th element is a strange movie indeed...but I actually liked it a bit and I don't typically take to those "odd ones".

Ilya

Ubermonkey said...

If you like PaperBackSwap, check out BookMooch and SwapTree. SwapTree is nifty because they're not just books. I transformed my mom's romance novels into a DVD collection. :)

B said...

The highlights of my summer revolve arounda good beer and a great session of Red Dead Redemption. Love that game.

Post a Comment